Linux Essentials is an entry-level credential program for those looking to add verified Linux skills to their portfolio. It covers basic knowledge for those working and studying Open Source and various distributions of Linux.
Linux adoption continues to rise world-wide as individual users, government entities and industries ranging from automotive to space exploration embrace open source technologies. This expansion of open source in enterprise is redefining traditional Information and Communication Technology (ICT) job roles to require more Linux skills. Whether you’re starting your career in Open Source, or looking for advancement, independently verifying your skill set can help you stand out to hiring managers or your management team.
The Linux Essentials Professional Development Certificate (PDC) is a great way to show employers that you have the foundational skills required for your next job or promotion. It also serves as an ideal stepping-stone to the more advanced LPIC Professional Certification track for Linux Systems Administrators.
Exam Objectives Version: Version 1.5 (last updated: May 2015)
Exam Covered: Linux Essentials (LPI-010); Exam 1 of 1 to obtain Linux Essentials Professional Development Certificate
Objectives Reflected in Published Exam: May 2015
Required Prerequisite: None
The Linux Essentials PDC validates a demonstrated understanding of:
- FOSS, the various communities, and licenses
- knowledge of open source applications in the workplace as they relate to closed source equivalents
- basic concepts of hardware, processes, programs and the components of the Linux Operating System
- how to work on the command line and with files
- how to create and restore compressed backups and archives
- system security, users/groups and file permissions for public and private directories
- how to create and run simple scripts
- The Linux community and a career in open source
- Finding your way on a Linux system
- The power of the command line
- The Linux operating system
- Security and file permissions
For more details about Linux Essentials Exam Objectives visit lpi.org
- Teacher: Ayda YAKOUT